Saturday, December 20, 2008

The heartless brute

I've found that, to survive, most people need just one person's companionship. Life is especially easy when the person in question happens to be oneself. I love my life. I love my own existence more than anyting else on earth. But that really isnt saying much because I have a cavelier attitude to life; especially my own. Can I really care about anyone else or anything else? I treat the average person on the road with much more friendliness than you ever have. Frankly I care a lot about all people. But none too much.

There are three maxims that form the theme of existence.
1. I have principles I live by. I don't have principles I'll die for.
2. What people see in me is what they portray of themselves to me, magnified. You love me: your return will be unwavering, unfaltering, undivided passion and love for you and you alone. I will scheme and plot your destruction if you as much as TRY (or even THINK of trying) to screw with me.
3. I travel light on physical possessions. I travel heavy on memories.

These are as good or as bad a set of maxims as any other. And they are definitely better than living with no principles.

I am 'The Heartless Brute', am I?
Look inside yourself, sweetie. The heartlessness is all yours, returned with thanks!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's one thing to reciprocate automatically.. And quite another to be aware of what you give in return! Stunning post! :)

Cheers,
The Phoenix

11:01 pm  
Blogger Sriharsha Salagrama said...

Mirror reactions are common throughout the animal world; as remnants of a basic survival instinct when faced with another entity with strengths and weaknesses similar to one's own. So I wouldn't be dismissive about automatic reciprocation (not that I'm implying you did).

Incidentally, I didnt really have much of a choice. Years of soft living had screwed my instincts so badly that they were just incapable of keeping me alive in the real world. I had to re-train my instincts from first principles. :) Not a very fun task.

Cheers!
Sriharsha

2:27 pm  
Blogger The Dingbat said...

I loved this post of yours! :) Read it ages ago.. I think you had not blogged in a while after this post.. :)
And something happened recently that reminded me of this post.. Alas, I don't remember the incident, I only remember that I remembered the post! :D
Will be sure to let you know when I recall what it was! :)

6:05 pm  
Blogger Sriharsha Salagrama said...

I think you can make out the fire-breathing dragon lurking behind the post. :D I had just told a woman I was not going to help her if the only outcome of the help was that I would be dragged into the a disgusting family fight. She called a heartless brute. I just put my reactions down on the blog because I sure didn't want to tell her to her face. I remembered what they say abt hell and the "woman scorned"! :D
You are right. I did vanish for a while. I just got caught up in the act of taking myself too seriously. Suffice to say THAT won't happen again.

6:41 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home